- About Krotz Springs
- Our Town
Don’t forget Daylight Savings Time begins Sunday, March 12, 2017. Set your clocks forward before going to bed Saturday night. Always remember, spring forward.
KROTZ SPRINGS ELEMENTARY 100 YEARS!
Krotz Springs Elementary celebrates 100 years of Academic Excellence! Join us during morning assembly as we acknowledge 100 years of academic excellence.
C.W. Krotz was determined that his community would have a school. Students first attended class in a one room “section house.” It was simple frame structure. Many felt that Krotz’s attempt at a school house was a foolhardy venture especially with only 10 pupils attending. However, by 1909 there were eighteen families well established in Krotz Springs and the town began to take shape. Some of the first families to settle in Krotz Springs were the Artigue family, Evans, Ducote and Duplechin family.
In 1916 Krotz sold 5.65 acres to the Parish School Board for $900. The School Board sold $12,000 in bonds to build the school in Krotz Springs. A two-story brick school was built on the site for the sum of $7,821. The two-story red brick school had a library and auditorium that was built on Division Street on the site of the present school gymnasium. The first teacher was August Pellafigure. The first students were: Avie Ardoin, Abra Artigue, Clinton Artigue, James Ducote, Lily Ducote, Lucille Ducote, Ellie Benaugh (Del Bueno?), John Benaugh, Lily Benaugh, Beulah Duplechin, Annie Vincent and Johnnie Vincent.
On January 6 our town will celebrate its 100th Birthday. After two failed attempts at incorporation, C.W. Krotz successfully incorporated Krotz Springs as a village on January 6, 1917. The proclamation creating Krotz Springs was signed by Governor R.G. Pleasant. Krotz Springs remained a village until 1955 when it was declared a town. The Town of Krotz Springs will celebrate our 100 years at our 4th of July event. We are a planning a spectacular event for this grand celebration.
Nina Snyder March 16
Heather Badon March 18
James Ellis March 28